Go To Top

Toshiba and Sony Finalize Chip Production Deal

New firm has yet to be named.

 

Toshiba, Sony, and Sony Computer Entertainment today formalized a partnership that will see PS3 chip production handled by a jointly owned subsidiary. First details on the partnership were revealed in October of last year.

Today, the firms announced that the new company will be located at Sony Semiconductor Kyushu Nagasaki Technology Center when it opens up shop on April 1. Toshiba will hold a 60% stake in the company, with the other 40% split evenly between SCE and its parent.

Even the unannounced executive staff will be split between parents, with the chairman set to come from Toshiba and the president from Sony.

The new firm has yet to be named.

PS3 chips such as the Cell CPU and RSX GPU will be produced on the production lines held by the new company. However, Toshiba plans on also using the company to produce chips for its own products in the future.

Initially, the production lines will run on a 65nm process, with the aim of moving over to a cutting edge 45nm process down the road.

Loading comments. If comments don't load, make sure Javascript is on in your browser.

Icons by Glyphicons. Used under CC-BY license.