Nintendo's Virtual Mii World Tops Media Create Charts
Friend Collection sells nearly 90% of stock.
Nintendo unleashed Mii avatars on the masses of DS owners this past week to apparent success. Media Create reports that for the week covering June 15 to June 21, Friend Collection topped the software charts. The DSi hardware also saw somewhat of a boost over the week.
Friend Collection sold 102,000 units in its debut week. Backed by a television commercial campaign featuring popular talent Yuka, the game sold through 86.64% of stock, leading to sellouts at many shops. Media Create cites shop feedback indicating a large percentage of female buyers, and an overlap for the game with the Animal Crossing crowd.
In second place was another newcomer, Fate/Unlimited Codes Portable. Capcom's PSP fighter sold 34,000 units in its first week. While this was less than half of December's PS2 version, which sold 83,000 units in its first week, Media Create notes a strong sell-through rate of 70%.
Outside of these two, there was just one new title in the top ten: volume 1 of Level-5's Tago Akira no Atama no Taisou. In its first week, the mind bending puzzle game sold 10,000 units, placing seventh. Volume 2, released simultaneously, took 13th place. Level-5's older puzzle game, Sloane and MacHale's Mysteries, actually placed higher this week in fourth place, despite being a month old.
Here's the full top ten for June 15 through June 21:
- 1. Friend Collection (Nintendo, DS): 102,000
- 2. Fate/Unlimited Codes Portable (Capcom, PSP): 34,000
- 3. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (Square Enix, DS): 27,000 (457,000)
- 4. Sloane & MacHale's Mysteries (Level-5, DS): 15,000 (144,000)
- 5. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP the Best (Capcom, PSP): 14,000 (749,000)
- 6. Ace Attorney Investigations (Capcom, DS): 11,000 (244,000)
- 7. Tago Akira no Atama no Taisou (Level-5, DS): 10,000
- 8. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii): 10,000 (3,463,000)
- 9. Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (Koei, PS3): 9,000 (125,000)
- 10. Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon, DS): 7,000 (2,447,000)
Debuting outside of the top ten this week were the PS3 the Best version of Metal Gear Solid 4 (Konami, PS3) in 26th, the PSP version of the SNK Best Collection budget re-release of Metal Slug Complete (SNK Playmore) in 33rd, Jyuuon to Diamond (SCE, PSP) in 43rd, and the PS2 version of the SNK Best Collection budget re-release of Metal Slug Complete (SNK Playmore) in 50th.
DSi and DS Lite saw a slight boost for the week, a trend that was reflected throughout the hardware charts for all platforms except the Xbox 360.
Here's the full hardware sales chart:
- DSi: 40,464 (36,872)
- PSP : 27,884 (26,904)
- Wii: 19,386 (18,442)
- PS3: 10,359 (10,009)
- Xbox 360: 6,734 (8,015)
- DS Lite: 5,531 (5,408)
- PS2 : 3,770 (3,498)