Late last week, Itmedia provided a look at the games market for the first half of 2009 based off data provided by Enterbrain. Unfortunately, the report lacked specifics on software sales.
For the specifics, we turn to Hachimaki, which has a scan showing solid figures for the top 15. I have no idea where the scan is from, but it looks legit, so I'll list the data. Please do not use this data to determine the result of wagers.
- 1. Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo, DS): 631,165
- 2. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP the Best (Capcom, PSP): 556,650
- 3. Yakuza 3 (Sega, PS3): 485,630
- 4. Resident Evil 5 (Capcom, PS3): 467,819
- 5. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii): 432,191
- 6. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (Square Enix, DS): 385,799
- 7. Rhythm Heaven Gold (Nintendo, DS): 384,191
- 8. Dynasty Warriors Strike Force (Koei, PSP): 382,191
- 9. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky (Pokemon, DS): 338,568
- 10. Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 2 (Namco Bandai, PSP): 316,797
- 11. Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai, Wii): 313,668
- 12. Wagamama Fashion Girls Mode (Nintendo, DS): 285,944
- 13. Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo, Wii): 256,057
- 14. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii): 254,631
- 15. Kirby: Ultra Super Deluxe (Nintendo, DS): 250,437
The data covers December 29, 2008 through June 7, 2009. Note that this is different from the dates in the Itmedia report which covered through June 28. In the Itmedia time frame, Wii Sports Resort would have already placed in the top 10 (despite just four days of sales!).
As detailed in the Itmedia report, the first hal of 2009 saw the games market fall 25% over the same period the year prior. One notable change from last year was the drop in million sellers. The first half of last year had four million sellers. This year, Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! came closest to a million, but it wasn't really close at all.
It would have been interesting to see how a March DQIX's release would have changed the Enterbrain stats. The game, which suffered a surprise delay to July 11, would have possibly sold over four and a half million copies by now, making up for the lack of million sellers on its own.
Hachimaki points out something else that's notable about the chart. Nintendo has seven games in the chart. However, all but Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! came out last year or, in Wii Fit's case, in 2007.
Additional Images (Total 14 Images, Use click action to expand)