Media Create Reports Low Sell-through For Monster Hunter 3
Standalone version of game manages to sell just 40% of stock.
Monster Hunter 3's released pushed the Wii into the top of the Media Create charts in a big way this past week. In addition to grabbing the top software slot, Wii shot past the PSP and DS to become the number one hardware for the week.
Just prior to its August 1 release, Capcom announced that the new Monster Hunter game had shipped 1 million units, becoming the first Wii third party game to do so domestically. In terms of actual sales, the game became the first third party Wii game to debut above the half million mark. Only two first party Wii games, Super Smash Bros. X (820,000 units) and Mario Kart Wii (594,000 units), have sold better in their first week.
Of course, the actual 520,000 sold figure is far lower than the million shipped figure. Media Create explains that the game only managed to sell 54.36% of its stock. The game's bundles saw high sell-through, with the Classic Controller Pro packs (available in black and white) combining for a 70% sell-through and the Special Set system pack, which bundles the game with a black Wii and black Classic Controller Pro, selling over 80% of stock. But the solo version of the game didn't even sell 40% of its stock. The Classic Controller packs outsold the software only version of the game 2 to 1.
Media Create questioned retailers directly about the game and learned that the age group of buyers was a bit higher than that of the PSP entries in the series. According to retailers, the largest group of early buyers consisted of college students, with high school and junior high kids being lower.
Other debuts this week included Puyo Puyo 7, Gears of War 2, Chibi Robo!, and Armored Core 3 Portable. Sega has been promoting Puyo Puyo 7 post launch with a series of commercials featuring models and comedians playing the game The game is coming to other platforms later this year. Microsoft has also been giving Gears of War 2 a big push, with early demo sessions for major game sites like Famitsu.com and Impress Watch. Armored Core 3 Portable, the first in a series of PS2 to PSP ports from From Software, sold 85.81% of stock.
Here's the full top ten, covering July 27 through August 2. Lifetime sales, wherever applicable, are in parenthesis.
- Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom, Wii): 520,000
- Dragon Quest IX (Square Enix, DS): 180,000 (3,382,000)
- Friend Collection (Nintendo, DS): 82,000 (510,000)
- Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii): 66,000 (828,000)
- Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega, DS): 52,000
- Gears of War 2 (Microsoft, X360): 49,000
- Pachinko Pachislot Strategy Series Vol.14 CR Evangelion (D3 Publisher, PS2): 42,000
- Armored Core 3 Portable (From Software, PSP): 41,000
- Okaeri! Chibi Robo! Happy Rich Daisouji! (Nintendo, DS): 23,000 (58,000)
- ToHeart2 Portable W Pack (Aqua Plus, PSP): 22,000
Debuting outside of the top ten in a week packed for releases were the following:
- 13: The King of Fighters XII (SNK Playmore, PS3)
- 16: Pachinko Pachislot Strategy Series DS Vol.4 CR Evangelion (D3 Publisher, DS)
- 18: Tsuyo Kiss 2-Gakki Swift Love (Net Revo, PS2)
- 20: Evangelion Battle Orchestra Portable (Broccoli, PSP)
- 25. Gokujou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou Girls Mote Kawa Box (Konami, DS)
- 27. Nuga-Cel! (Idea Factory, PS2)
- 28. Doki Majo Plus (SNK Playmore, DS)
- 29. LucianBee's Resurrection Supernova (5pb., PS2)
- 31: Kyoufu Taikan Juon (AQ Interactive, Wii)
- 32. The King of Fighters XII (SNK Playmore, X360)
- 39. To Heart 2 Portable (Aqua Plus, PSP)
- 42. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII Ultimate Hits (Square Enix, PSP)
The Wii's surge in hardware could be due to both Monster Hunter 3 and the availability of the new black system -- the first color variation for the platform. Media Create reports that the black system sold 45,000 units on its own in its first week. The Monster Hunter 3 Special Pack hardware bundle sold 20,000 units.
Here's the full hardware chart, with the previous week's sales in parentheses.
- Wii: 95,357 (23,995)
- DSi: 73,710 (80,362)
- PSP : 33,049 (30,523)
- DS Lite: 12,027 (12,385)
- PS3: 8,760 (8,997)
- PS2 : 3,617 (3,305)
- Xbox 360: 3,552 (3,080)
As with the release of Wii Sports Resort, Monster Hunter 3 spurred sales of related products. Sales of the Wii's LAN Adapter and Nintendo Point Prepaid Cards were at two to four times their usual rate.
Additional Images (Total 63 Images, Use click action to expand)