Uncharted 2 tops Newcomers in Media Create Charts
Sequel sells three times predecessor and beats homegrown offerings.
This week's Media Create sales charts cover the one week period between October 12 and October 18. While not in first place, the standout title for the period was a Western game, Uncharted 2.
The Naughty Dog sequel debuted in fifth place with 54,000 units. This figure is a great leap over the 2007 original, which managed just 17,000 in its first week. Media Create reports a 73.18% sellthrough rate for the game, but also notes that many shops sold out of their first shipment quickly, meaning the sellthrough rate at the end of the game's second day could have been higher.
As reason for the game's success, Media Create cites strong overseas reviews, a lower price point compared to other PS3 titles (Sony charges just ¥5,980 for Uncharted 2 while major PS3 releases tend to run ¥6,980 and up), and continued momentum from the PS3's early September price drop and slimline revision.
Sony also staged a major promotional campaign for the game, with an elaborate demo event in Akihabara and commercials featuring commentary from rapper and known gamer BOSE.
Here's the full software top 10. Life-to-date sales are in parenthesis.
- 1. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Pokemon, DS): 165,000 (total 2,639,000)
- 2. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo, Wii): 118,000 (610,000)
- 3. Friend Collection (Nintendo, DS): 63,000 (1,414,000)
- 4. Inazuma Eleven 2 (Level-5, DS): 61,000 (437,000)
- 5. Uncharted 2 (SCE, PS3): 54,000
- 6. Okami (Capcom, Wii): 24,000
- 7. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii): 23,000 (1,300,000)
- 8. Gran Turismo (SCE, PSP): 22,000 (196,000)
- 9. Shin Megamitensei Strange Journey (Atlus, DS): 20,000 (117,000)
- 10. Love Plus (Konami, DS): 20,000 (141,000)
Uncharted 2 managed to beat out a number of homegrown debut titles. Outside of the Wii port of Okami, which debuted in 6th, the following debuted in the top 50:
- 11. Beatmania IIDX 16 Empress + Premium Best (Konami, PS2)
- 12. Undead Knights (Tecmo, PSP)
- 13. Fullmetal Alchemist Senaka wo Takusseshi Mono (Namco Bandai, PSP)
- 14. Steins; Gate (5pb., Xbox 360)
- 21. Kimi ni Todoke: Sodateru Omoi (Namco Bandai, NDS)
- 24. UFC 2009 Undisputed (Yukes, PS3)
- 36. NBA 2K10 (Spike, PS3)
- 37. Slotter Up Mania 11 2027 VS 2027 II (Dorasu, PS2)
- 38. Shounen Sunday VS Shounen Magazine White Comic (Konami, NDS)
On the hardware front, most of the platforms continued along a downward trend. Major software releases are due out in the coming weeks, with the PSP likely to also get a boost from the November 1 release of PSP go.
Here's the full hardware chart. Last week's sales are in parentheses.
- DSi: 49,145 (50,144)
- PSP: 33,508 (40,100)
- PS3: 30,231 (30,896)
- Wii: 29,965 (30,741)
- X360: 3,662 (3,326)
- DS Lite: 2,590 (5,454)
- PS2: 2,109 (2,133)
Total 6 Images, Use click action to expand