Even the Classic Dungeon Official Site Mixes Retro with Modern
The latest on Nippon Ichi's deliciously nostalgic PSP RPG.
Someone has finally found a good use for Flash! Check out the Classic Dungeon official site and you'll find a unique RPG-style interface where you move your character around with the directional keys and speak to NPCs using space or enter to get info on the game.
You can also select sections of the site directly from the menu at the bottom. Currently, the site has sections for story, system, characters, movie, and A "special" section is not yet available.
In my initial writeup on the game based off flying get Dengeki info a couple of weeks back, I gave a vague description of the story. The game is set in the land of Manoagas. There's a door in the center of this world which leads to a special area -- some say the end of the world, some say the inside of a well, and some say the other side of the bathroom door. People from all around have come to see what's beyond the door, some expecting treasure, others powerful enemies, and others adventure.
The site introduces three of the game's preset characters:
- Has no experience adventuring, but came in search for the treasure.
- Pooting's childhood friend. Pursued her in order to protect her.
- Is unlucky to the core and always has bad things happen to him. He arrived in Manoagas after falling from a cliff. He speaks like a girl.
The system section offers a look at the following areas:
- Base of operations
- Prepare yourself before going to a dungeon. Change your support and main characters, and create a new character.
- Head to the various dungeons of the world by entering the door in the center of Manoagas. You'll find treasures, traps, gimmicks, and powerful enemies awaiting. The game has random dungeons, although it's not clear if all the dungeons are random.
- Simple controls allow for a variety of actions, including dashing, jumping, sword attacks, defense with your shield, and magic attacks with your rod. Videos show the the player leaping over flames and performing jump attacks.
- I'm not sure of a proper translation for the game's character growth system. Using this, you set up your characters on a chart to determine which character you control and which characters act in a support role. Characters in the support role aren't directly under your control. They will pop up in battle to shield you from damage, and they also receive a certain amount of experience.
- Wireless Play
- Up to four players can work together to challenge tough dungeons or complete using their character creations. A video shows players teaming up to fight a giant boss. Also shown is what looks like a melee combat mode.
Also be sure and view the "movie" section for a trailer and theme song. The trailer shows the game's customization component. In addition to setting your character's job, name, and appearance down to the pixel level, you can apparently even select your last boss!
Classic Dungeon hits on February 18. It will be available in both retail UMD and download form.