New Xenoblade Characters Revealed
Plus, meet the enemies: Black Face and Brown Face.
The Xenoblade cast keeps on growing. Four additional characters made their debut in this week's Famitsu, including our first two representatives of the races besides Homs. Let's take a look.
- Race: Homs, Gender: Male, Age: 18, Height: 190cm. A member of the Colony 9 Defense Force (Colony 9 is where the main characters live). He's a childhood friend of main character Shulk. While an optimist, he can show great anger.
- Race: Homs, Gender: Female, Age: 21, Height: 168cm. A soldier in the Colony 6 Defense Force. She's good with projectile weapons.
- Race: Hienter, Gender: Female, Age: ???, Height: 156cm. A young girl from the Hienter race. This race resides on the head area of the Kyojin part of the world and has an advanced civilization. She's skilled at using ethers for attacks.
- Race: Nopon, Gender: Male, Age: ???, Height: 60cm. A hero of the Nopon merchant race who reside in the forests of the back area of the Kyojin part of the world? His words and movements are extremely childish, but in reality... !? (Note: I tried to replicate Famitsu's punctuation here.)
In case you're wondering about how all the races look, you can see the Homs races at the official site. The Hienter also look like humans. The Nopon, however, look like giant eggs, with wings and tiny feet.
The magazine also provided details on the mecha that were shown attacking Colony 9 in the previous trailer:
- Black Face
- Race: New Model Kishin Soldier, Head Height: 10.5m, Total Height: 15.5m. This type of soldier is capable of transforming into flying form. It uses its claws as weapons. Different from other Kishin soldiers, its head looks somewhat human-like. The Monado sword is apparently ineffective against this soldier.
- Brown Face
- Race: New Model Kishin Soldier, Head Height: 6m, Total Height: 7.5m. Like Black Face, Brown Face can transform into flying form. It wields a sickle-like weapon.
Also getting some space -- try a full page, or one-fourth of the article -- is the Monado Sword. The magazine summarizes what we're apparently supposed to already know about the sword. I use "apparently" because some of the info was new to me.
There are apparently three known properties about the sword:
- 1. It has the only power that can resist the Kishin troops.
- 2. It can't slash anything except Kishin troops.
- 3. Anyone can unleash Monado's power, but at present only the legendary hero Dunban can control it.
Point number 2 is of particular note. The magazine has a screenshot that shows Rein for some reason slashing heroine Fiorung with the Monado. However, the sword does not harm her.
Based off the screenshots, it looks like Monado is like a light saber -- the actual slicing part isn't metal, but rather a light beam. It's hard to see what's going on when Rein slashes at Fiorung, as the part of the sword that actually hits Fiorung is just a flash of light.
The central glass plate on the sword's head was previously revealed to have some mysterious properties. It seems to change color and text. Screens in the magazine show two textual images: "機" and "盾." The former could be machine -- it's the same character that starts off the name of the Kishin troops. The second is shield.
What do these mysterious characters mean? The "Monado" section of the official site has already been unlocked and contained no answers. Perhaps this is a mystery we'll have to figure out for ourselves once Xenoblade hits on June 24.