SNK Playmore Brings Neo Geo Themed Shooter to PSP
Step aside, KOF Sky Stage. The ultimate Neo Geo shooting festival hits PSP this summer.
King of Fighters Sky Stage was initially announced as an Xbox Live Arcade title, but saw release first in arcades. Now it looks like XLA could end up being the third platform for the game.
This week's Famitsu has a first look at Neo Geo Heroes Ultimate Shooting, a PSP vertical bullet hell shooter so big that it contains the entire Sky Stage as just one of its modes of play!
Different from the KOF-centered Sky Stage, Ultimate Shooting brings together characters from across the Neo Geo spectrum. The magazine lists such classic characters as Akari Ichijou, Marco Rossi, Kyo Kusanagi, Iori Yagami, Iroha, Terry Bogard, Mai Shiranui, Athena Asamiya and Kula Diamond.
The game even borrows from the story of World Heroes. Professor Brown Sugar has created a time machine with the purpose of determining who's the strongest hero across all of time. However, he comes to learn of an organization that hopes to tap the power of these classic heroes for evil purposes, and seals away the time machine. 15 years pass, and that organization, Damudo, steals the time machine and transports back into the past. To combat this, Brown once again assembles the Heroes of Justice and sends them to a variety of time periods that have been modified.
Gameplay looks like Sky Stage on the small screen. You have access to a shot and bomb as standard weapons, and three supers unique to each character. Prior to boss battles, you're treated to cut scenes where the characters converse.
Modes of play for the PSP include:
- Neo Geo Heroes
- Select your choice of character and work through a story. The stages progress in a branching fashion. Starting with an initial stage, your next stage can be 2A or 2B, your stage after that can be 3A, 3B or 3C, and so-on. The bosses and endings change based off your choice of character and branching path.
- Challenge Mode
- This includes two sub modes. Survival Mode puts you one on one against bosses. Depending on your performance, you'll unlock media for the gallery and sound modes. Subject Mode presents you with a number of challenges like "defeat the boss with special attacks only" or "draw enemy fire as close as possible." Clear these, and you earn badges for a collection.
- Multiplayer Mode
- Face off against friends in battle using wireless LAN.
- Sky Stage
- A full port of KOF Sky Stage's arcade version. You can set bomb stock and life count, and also freely select your stage. This mode alone is compatible with two player cooperative play.
- Museum Mode
- Browse the visuals and music that are included in the game.
- Set difficulty, key settings and more. You can also set screen size between four options, including one option which has you hold the PSP in "tate" mode (vertically).
Neo Geo Heroes Ultimate Shooting is 70% complete and is being readied for July release.