Dragon Quest, Metal Gear Lead the Way in May
Monthly sales chart has mix of new, old, and really old.
They were in the one and two slots for most of the month. It's not too surprising, then, that Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker were respectively the number 1 and 2 top selling games for May.
Famitsu shared Enterbrain's May sales stats today, covering the month period between April 26 and May 30.
A little over one week of this period was dead due to the Golden Week holiday period, but the chart still had a mix of very new and very old. The top five games were all newcomers for the month. Below, long-selling Nintendo titles like New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Friend Collection were joined by Mario Kart Wii, which reappeared in the charts exactly two years after its initial release.
Mario Kart's sudden resurgence was presumably due to a new marketing push by Nintendo, which may have been an attempt at pulling in some of the crowd that purchased a Wii with New Super Mario Bros. Wii over Christmas/New Years.
Here's the full top 10 for the month:
- 1. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (Square Enix, DS, 4/28): 1,099,283
- 2. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (Konami, PSP, 4/29): 691,072
- 3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii, 5/27): 337,569
- 4. Lost Planet 2 (Capcom, PS3, 5/20): 126,054
- 5. Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom, PS3, 4/28): 121,154
- 6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo, Wii, 12/03/09): 120,405 (3,853,126)
- 7. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii, 4/10/08): 93,194 (2,743,368)
- 8. Friend Collection (Nintendo, DS, 6/18/09): 88,359 (3,273,721)
- 9. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo, Wii, 10/01/09): 86,757 (1,945,584)
- 10. Super Robot Taisen OG Lord of Elemental (Namco Bandai, DS, 5/27): 86,105
Additional Images (Total 5 Images, Use click action to expand)