PlayStation Network Accounts Top 50 Million
Rate of adoption growing, Sony says.
Sony announced today a major feat for its PlayStation Network online service Total worldwide accounts for the service have, as of June 14, topped the 50 million mark.
PSN first kicked off with the launch of the PlayStation 3 in November 2006. The service has since expanded to 58 countries and is now accessible from both PS3 and PSP.
In its announcement today, Sony noted that the rate of signups is increasing. The 10 million account landmark came at the 1 year 8 month point. The 20 million feat came at the the 2 year and 3 month mark. The 50 million figure comes 3 years and 8 months after the start of service.
Sony also shared stats for PlayStation Home. The virtual space, which started in December 2008, now has over 14 million accounts worldwide. Users have access to over 300 sponsored lounges and over 11,000 items.
Other PSN stats shared by Sony today:
- Over 960 PS3 titles worldwide are PSN ready
- Eight countries have a PSN video service
- Seven countries have a digital comic service
- Over 70,000 pieces of content are available worldwide. This includes free demos and promo videos
- Over 1 billion content downloads have been made through the service as of the end of May