Monster Hunter Diary Tops the Charts
PSP sees sales surge following one two punch of Monster Hunter and Ace Combat.
PSP was the dominant system this week, both in hardware and software. Helping Sony's cause were some major releases from Capcom and Namco Bandai.
As reported at 4gamer today, Capcom's Monster Hunter series spinoff Monster Hunter Diary Poka Poka Felyne Village topped the charts with over 250,000 sales. Following the game's release last week, anecdotal reports of sellouts were wide spread.
PSP had a big software showing overall this week. In fact, all new entries in the top 20 were PSP games. Ace Combat X2 placed second with nearly 60,000 units. Idea Factory's Haku Ouki Zuisouroku placed fifth with nearly 25,000 units. Down in eleventh place was Idea Factory's Nise no Chigiri, with 8,558 units.
Here's this week's top 10 covering 8/23 through 8/29. Life to date sales in parentheses.
- 1. Monster Hunter Diary (Capcom, PSP): 256,076
- 2. Ace Combat X2 Joint Assault (Namco Bandai, PSP): 57,785
- 3. Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii): 54,673 (859,733)
- 4. Another Century's Episode R (Namco Bandai, PS3): 28,354 (248,203)
- 5. Haku Ouki Zuisouroku (Idea Factory, PSP): 24,469
- 6. Inazuma Eleven 3 Spark/Bomber (Level-5, DS): 12,889 (810,718)
- 7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii): 11,977 (795,602)
- 8. Painting Classroom DS (Nintendo, DS): 10,301 (148,759)
- 9. Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X (Namco Bandai, PSP): 9,371 (161,875)
- 10. Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom, PS3): 8,834 (361,452)
Likely fueled by Monster Hunter Diary, which was released as part of a special hardware bundle, PSP hardware sales surged this week to double last week's total. Most other systems saw a slight drop.
Here's the full hardware chart:
- 1. PSP: 55,112 (27,554)
- 2. PS3: 25,053 (29,433)
- 3. DSi LL: 19,010 (21,179)
- 4. DSi: 17,057 (20,030)
- 5. Wii: 15,989 (18,145)
- 6. DS Lite: 3,925 (4,012)
- 7. X360: 2,665 (3,842)
- 8. PS2: 1,358 (1,366)
- 9. PSP go: 836 (631)