Nintendo Formally Announces 3DS Price & Date
Company shares final specifications for February 2011 portable device.
Nintendo announced a final release date and price for the Nintendo 3DS today, and also shared a final spec sheet for the system.
The 3D-compatible portable will be released domestically on February 26, priced at ¥25,000. It will be available in Aqua Blue and Cosmos Black color variations.
Your ¥25,000 will get you a set that includes the following items:
- Nintendo 3DS System
- Nintendo 3DS Exclusive Charging Stand
- Nintendo 3DS AC Adapter
- Nintendo 3DS Exclusive Touch Pen
- SD Memory Card (2 Gigabytes)
- 6 AR Cards (paper cards used for playing with the camera)
- Simple Starter Guide
The system's specifications, as translated from Nintendo's press release are:
- Upper Screen
- 3.53 inches, wide screen with naked eye 3D support, 800x240 pixel resolution
- Lower Screen
- 3.02 inches, 320x240 pixels
- One camera on the inside, two cameras on the outside. Each camera is 0.3 megapixels (640x480)
- Wireless Communication
- 2.4GHz. Can exchange data with other 3DS units through Surechigai (Tag Mode). Can connect to the internet via wireless LAN access points (compatible with WPA/WPA2 IEEE802.11 security).
- A/B/X/Y, D-pad, L/R, Start/Select, Slide Pad (360 degree analogue input), Touch Screen, Internal Mic, Camera, Motion Sensor, Gyro Sensor
- Other Inputs
- 3D Volume (can smoothly adjust degree of 3D output), Home Button (for opening the Home menu), Wireless Switch (can turn off wireless even while in mid-game), Power Button
- Game Card Slot, SD Memory Card Slot, AC Adapter Connection, Charge Connection, Headphone Connection
- Stereo Speakers on the left and right of the top screen
- Touch Pen
- Can be contracted. Max length 10cm
- Lithium Ion Battery
- Game Card
- Nintendo 3DS exclusive game cards. Size is the same as DS cards. Max memory capacity will be 2 gigabytes at system launch
Major functionality mentioned by Nintendo in its press release includes:
- Enjoy 3D images with the naked eye on the top screen.
- You can adjust the 3D volume to change the 3D feel, and can also make it 2D.
- A stereo camera that can take 3D pictures
- Includes 2 external cameras. When you take 3D pictures, they can be viewed on the spot.
- New input interfaces
- Slide Pad, Motion Sensor, Gyro Sensor.
- Itsunoma ni Tsuushin
- When the 3DS is in sleep mode, the system will automatically seek out Nintendo Zone and wireless LAN access points and will grab information, game data, free games, videos and other things from the internet. The name, incidentally, translates to something along the lines of "Wireless Communication When You Weren't Expecting It."
- Surechigai Tsuushin/Tag Mode
- When the 3DS is in sleep mode, it will automatically exchange data with other 3DS systems. The system can transfer data from multiple games simultaneously.
- Functionality For Use Without Leaving Games
- Home Menu, Internet Browser, Notice List.
- A Variety of Software Built In
- Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Studio, Surechigai/Tag Mode Mii Plaza, AR Games, Omoide Kirokuchou (Memory Recording Notebook) and more.
- Download Sales of Games
- In addition to buying games, you can view introductory videos and rankings.
- Transfer Over Software and Data
- You'll be able to transfer your already purchased download software to 3DS. This includes DSi Ware games from DSi and DSi LL.
- Backwards Compatible
- In addition to playing games made for 3DS, the system can also play DSi and DS games.
- Parental Controls
- You can set play restrictions based off game ratings. You can also limit browser use and other areas. Parental Controls have been improved from the DSi versions.
Additional Images (Total 13 Images, Use click action to expand)