PS3 Macross Beats Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded in First Week Sales
But neither can match up with Pokemon, which came just shy of 4 million.
Kindgom Hearts Re: Coded didn't have what it takes to take the number one spot in its debut week. But neither did Macross F.
Both titles, part of a flood of new releases last week, had to settle for something less than first place as Pokemon Black & White continued to dominate the Media Create charts. Black & White sold another 230,000 units over the week, placing first and bringing its life to date total just shy of the 4 million mark.
Taking second place this week was Macross F. The PlayStation 3 hybrid Blu-ray, the only way to buy the movie Macross F Itsuwari no Utahime on Blu-ray and the only way to by the Macross F Trial Frontier PS3 game, debuted in second with 153,000 units. The disc does not require a PS3 to play back the movie content, so it's unclear how many buyers are taking advantage of the game.
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded followed in third place with 96,000 units, besting the critically acclaimed Red Dead Redemption and the PSP version of Class of Heroes 3. The PS3 version of Class of Heroes 3 debuted down at 12.
Here's the Media Create top 20, covering October 4 through October 10, as passed along via 4gamer.
- 1. Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS): 231,638 (3,992,855)
- 2. Macross F Itsuwari no Utahime (Namco Bandai, PS3): 152,699
- 3. Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded (Square Enix, DS): 95,505
- 4. Red Dead Redemption (Take Two, PS3): 70,599
- 5. Class of Heroes 3 (Acquire, PSP): 30,572
- 6. Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii): 26,259 (1,099,428)
- 7. Red Dead Redemption (Take Two, X360): 25,673
- 8. F1 2010 (Code Masters, PS3): 25,273
- 9. Dead Rising 2 (Capcom, PS3): 24,416 (104,111)
- 10. K-On! After School Live (Sega, PSP): 21,454 (192,303)
- 11. Black Panther Yakuza New Chapter (Sega, PSP): 19,109 (236,485)
- 12. Class of Heroes 3 (Acquire, PS3): 14,892
- 13. Okamiden (Capcom, DS): 12,829 (97,300)
- 14. Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki (Falcom, PSP): 11,147 (95,507)
- 15. Tenkaichi Sengoku Lovers DS (Rocket Company, DS): 9,510
- 16. H.A.W.X.2 (Ubisoft, PS3): 8,921
- 17. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii): 6,991 (849,567)
- 18. Dragon Ball Tag Versus (Namco Bandai, PSP): 6,734 (25,814)
- 19. Dead Rising 2 (Capcom, X360): 6,279 (50,097)
- 20. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP the Best Reprint (Capcom, PSP): 6,261 (443,365)
On the hardware front, most systems were down for the week. The PS3 and DS saw no apparent benefit from their major releases, with DS sales continuing to cool down following Black & White's surge.
Here's the full hardware chart for the week. Last week's sales are in parentheses.
- 1. PSP: 33,683 (37,088)
- 2. DSi: 22,301 (24,937)
- 3. DSi LL: 21,777 (24,246)
- 4. PS3: 19,948 (20,363)
- 5. Wii: 12,158 (13,360)
- 6. DS Lite: 5,960 (5,707)
- 7. X360: 2,746 (2,769)
- 8. PS2: 1,373 (1,247)
- 9. PSP go: 1,191 (754)