Weekly Rankings: Super Hardcore Edition
Find out what's big in imports and PC gaming amongst the Messe Sanoh crowd.
Media Create's weekly sales charts do a good job of showing what games Japan as a whole are buying. But what about Japan's super hardcore gaming crowd? You know, the kind of people who made Xbox 360 the ultimate system for shmups?
For that, we turn to Messe Sanoh, the Akihabara retailer that's known for supporting the underdog systems like Dreamcast and Xbox 360. Messe Sanoh provides weekly sales charts listing the top ten domestic consumer games at its at its main shop, and the top ten imports and PC games at its neighboring "Chaos Shop."
Here are the latest results via ASCII.
For Japan-released consumer games (11/13 to 11/19):
- 1. Agarest Senki 2 Limited Edition (Compile Heart, PS3)
- 2. Criminal Girls (Nippon Ichi, PSP)
- 3. Call of Duty Black Ops Subtitled Version (Square Enix, PS3)
- 4. Call of Duty Black Ops Subtitled Version (Square Enix, X360)
- 5. Love Bancho (Idea Factory, PSP)
- 6. Tactics Ogre (Square Enix, PSP)
- 7. Hakuouki Reimeiroku Limited Edition (Idea Factory, PS2)
- 8. My Wife (Idea Factory, X360)
- 9. Radiant History (Atlus, DS)
- 10. Forza Motorsport 3 Ultimate Edition (Microsoft, X360)
My Wife was sixth place last week. Agarest Senki 2 is new this week. We'll find out how it fares amongst the general public once Media Create's sales are released later this week. You can see the full lineup of last week's releases in the release calendar. Messe Sanoh's tracking period does not include Saturday's Kinect release, which will be covered by Media Create's chart.
PC/Windows game sales (11/15 to 11/21) include both Japanese and import titles:
- 1. Call of Duty Black Ops Subtitled Version (Square Enix, Domestic Version)
- 2. Call of Duty Black Ops (Activision , US Version)
- 3. Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 2 (Ubisoft, UK)
- 4. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts, Asian)
- 5. Two Worlds II (Topware, UK)
- 6. Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition (Electronic Arts, UK)
- 7. Venetica (dtp Entertainment, UK)
- 8. Dead Rising 2 (Capcom, Asian)
- 9. Football Manager 2011 (Sega, UK)
- 10. Medal of Honor (Electronic Arts, Asian)
The US version of Black Ops was last week's number one PC title, but the Japanese version, just released this week, was apparently big enough that Messe Sanoh sold out of all copies on the first day of sales. The success may be partially due to the option for subtitles, as players complained that Japanese in the previous Call of Duty did not match the game.
The top ten import consumer games (11/15 to 11/21):
- 1. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft, X360, Asian)
- 2. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts, X360, Asian)
- 3. Call of Duty Black Ops (Activision, X360, Asian)
- 4. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts, PS3, Asian)
- 5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft, PS3, Asian)
- 6. Call of Duty Black Ops (Activision, PS3, Asian)
- 7. DJ Max 3 (Pentativision, PSP, Korea)
- 8. Super Scribblenauts (Warner, PS3, Korea)
- 9. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (Lucas Arts, X360, Asian)
- 10. Rock Band 3 (Electronic Arts, X360, US)
Black Ops Xbox 360 and PS3 were respectively one and two last week.