Subtitled Call of Duty Tops the Charts as PSP Hardware Sales Surge
Kinect titles fail to make it into the top 20.
PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable were the big winners in sales this week, topping the Media Create hardware and software charts with some surprisingly strong performances.
The PS3 version of Call of Duty Black Ops topped the software chart with 128,922 units. The Xbox 360 version made it in at seven with 30,279 sales.
This first of two Black Ops releases has the original English voice tracks with Japanese subtitles. In December, Square Enix will release a dubbed version priced the same. Square Enix received complaints about the dubbing work in the previous Call of Duty, apparently leading to this release strategy.
Also new in the top ten this week, a Fossil Fighters sequel for DS, Winning Eleven on PSP, PS2 and Wii, Agarest Senki 2 on PS3, and Evangelion pachinko games on PS3 and PSP.
Not cracking the top 20 were any of the Kinect launch titles. Microsoft's hands-free controller arrived here on Saturday, one day before the end of this week's tracking period, with a small lineup of mostly homegrown titles. While Xbox 360 sales did nearly triple, none of the games apparently sold over the 8,100 unit mark.
The big winner in hardware this week was actually PSP, which surged to more than double its previous week total. PS3 also had a boost while Wii fell from last week's Mario lead surge.
Here's the full software chart covering 11/15 to 11/21, as reported at 4gamer:
- 1. Call of Duty Black Ops Subtitled Version (Square Enix, PS3): 128,922
- 2. Super Fossil Fighters (Nintendo, DS): 42,829
- 3. Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS): 39,883 (4,450,879)
- 4. Super Mario Collection Special Pack (Nintendo, Wii): 38,219 (565,928)
- 5. Tactics Ogre (Square Enix, PSP): 37,350 (213,503)
- 6. Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami, PSP): 35,500
- 7. Call of Duty Black Ops Subtitled Version (Square Enix, X360): 30,279
- 8. Tongari Boushi to Mahou to Omise (Konami, DS): 24,918 (65,126)
- 9. Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami, PS3): 22,383 (323,803)
- 10. Record of Agarest War 2 (Compile Heart, PS3): 20,889
- 11. God Eater Burst (Namco Bandai, PSP): 18,726 (375,082)
- 12. Criminal Girls (Nippon Ichi, PSP): 17,855
- 13. Pachige Tamashii CR Evangelion Hajimari no Fukuin (Fields, PS3): 16,964
- 14. Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii): 16,814 (1,208,037)
- 15. Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2 (Namco Bandai, PS3): 14,632 (62,241)
- 16. Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami, PS2): 14,450
- 17. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo, Wii): 11,840 (199,618)
- 18. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii): 11,745 (26,184)
- 19. Pachige Tamashii CR Evangelion Hajimari no Fukuin (Fields, PSP): 9,102
- 20. Winning Eleven Play Maker 2011 (Konami, Wii): 8,105
The hardware chart for the same period, with last week's sales in parentheses:
- 1. PSP: 96,601 (40,328)
- 2. PS3: 29,058 (21,114)
- 3. Wii: 27,851 (39,308)
- 4. DSi LL: 21,836 (18,711)
- 5. DSi: 20,550 (13,994)
- 6. X360: 7,083 (2,686)
- 7. DS Lite: 1,904 (1,752)
- 8. PSP go: 1,816 (2,727)
- 9. PS2: 1,255 (1,233)