The 3rd Birthday Sells 140,000 Units First Week
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd tops 3.5 million, Pokemon Black & White closes in on 5 million.
Inside Games has passed along Media Create's weekly sales data today for December 20 through December 26. The top 10 is similar to the data provided by Enterbrain yesterday, but Media Create provided solid sales figures.
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd topped the charts for the fourth week in a row, with 404,000 units taking it to 3,560,000 units since its December 1 release. The PSP sequel looks almost certain to cross the four million mark, possibly in the last week of the year.
Newcomers in the top 10 include AKB1/48 and The 3rd Birthday, both for PSP. The former sold 236,000 units. The latter sold 140,000 units. AKB1/48's success was previously hinted at with some reports indicating over 250,000 pre-orders.
Here's the full top 10, listed with life to date sales wherever applicable:
- 1. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom, PSP): 404,000 (3,560,000)
- 2. AKB1/48 (Namco Bandai, PSP): 236,000
- 3. Donkey Kong Returns (Nintendo, Wii): 214,000 (531,000)
- 4. Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS): 165,000 (4,909,000)
- 5. Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii): 162,000 (1,574,000)
- 6. The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix, PSP): 140,000
- 7. Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo, Wii): 136,000 (436,000)
- 8. Inazuma Eleven 3 The Ogre (Level-5, DS): 117,000 (293,000)
- 9. Ni no Kuni (Level-5, DS): 84,000 (329,000)
- 10. Tongari Boushi to Mahou no Omise (Konami, DS): 74,000 (249,000)
Outside of the top 10, Xbox 360's Virtual On Force debuted at 29 this week. Media Create did not provide a solid sales figure for the game.
For the full software top 30, see this week's rankings page.
In hardware, DS saw a big boost this week, taking it just slightly above the PSP's total. Wii continued with its usual New Years sales surge. Expect Nintendo hardware to see continued dominance over the coming two weeks.
Here's the full hardware chart for 12/20 to 12/26. Last week's sales are in parentheses.
- 1. PSP: 177,691 (162,558)
- 2. Wii: 131,761 (99,681)
- 3. DSi: 93,464 (71,804)
- 4. DSi LL: 92,329 (72,146)
- 5. PS3: 64,228 (49,515)
- 6. DS Lite: 5,790 (4,227)
- 7. PSP go: 5,380 (1,949)
- 8. X360: 5,298 (3,726)
- 9. PS2: 2,604 (2,188)
Media Create reports that overall hardware sales fell 12.11% form the same one week period last year. The primary reason for this is that Wii and PS3 saw drops of around 40%. Last year, Wii and PS3 hardware sales were driven by New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Final Fantasy XIII.
In contrast, PSP hardware saw a boost of 67.95% over last year, presumably due to Monster Hunter.