DS and Wii Edge Out PSP and PS3 For Hardware Supremacy in 2010
Nintendo platforms also dominate software.
Famitsu has passed along Enterbrain's yearly sales report for 2010. The data covers December 28, 2009 through December 26, 2010.
The market shrunk by 9% from the prior year, totaling 493.66 billion yen in sales, down from last year's 542.64 billion. Hardware saw the biggest fall, dropping 18.9% to 175.59 billion yen. Software fell 2.5% to 318.08 billion yen.
DS was the top platform for the year, beating the PSP by 70,000 units. In consoles, Wii edged out PS3.
Here's the full set of hardware totals. Life to date (through December 26, 2010) sales are in parentheses. Different from the weekly sales charts, this list combines DS Lite, DSi, and DSi LL under a single DS platform and PSP and PSP go under a single PSP platform.
- Nintendo DS: 2,963,709 (32,124,298)
- PlayStation Portable: 2,890,476 (16,276,931)
- Wii: 1,728,293 (11,230,292)
- PlayStation 3: 1,558,480 (5,949,887)
- Xbox 360: 208,790 (1,406,663)
The top ten software list had the usual mix of new releases and long legged Nintendo titles. Pokemon Black & White was the dominant new release for the year, nearing 5 million in sales following its September release. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd arrived in early December but still came close to the 3.5 million mark. Longer sellers like Friend Collection, Wii Fit Plus, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii also placed highly even though the brunt of their sales was in the previous year.
Here's the full top 10, listed with total sales and release date:
- Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS, 9/18/2010): 4,914,813
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom, PSP, 12/1/2010): 3,480,989
- New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, Wii, 12/3/2009): 1,599,845 (4,084,995)
- Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii, 7/8/2010): 1,539,228
- Dragon Quest VI (Square Enix, DS, 1/28/2010): 1,297,344
- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (Square Enix, DS, 4/28/2010): 1,276,303
- Friend Collection (Nintendo, DS, 6/18/2009): 1,196,148 (3,508,096)
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii, 5/27/2010): 900,539
- Inazuma Eleven 3 Spark/Bomber (Level-5, DS, 7/1/2010): 890,440
- Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo, Wii, 10/1/2009): 849,664 (2,148,197)