Go To Top

Nintendo CEO Comments on NGP

3DS and NGP attempting to appeal to customers from different directions, says Iwata.

 
Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata.

You know what the press thinks about NGP. You know what investors think about NGP. You'll soon know what Alex thinks about NGP (he didn't get to play it or anything, but I'll have his impressions from the PlayStation Meeting press conference up in a bit).

Now let's see what Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata thinks about Sony's new portable!

Nintendo held the Tokyo version of quarterly earnings briefing today (following the Osaka version yesterday -- see here for a few bits from that). According to Bloomberg, Iwata said of Sony and the NGP, "They're trying to appeal to customers from a different direction than us. The customers will decide which is correct."

Iwata was also asked about the measures Nintendo will be taking to combat the NGP. "Nintendo is not the kind of company that thinks about how we oppose other company's product," replied Iwata.

Nintendo's 3DS system will be launching on February 26. Preorders kicked off last week and pretty much instantly disappeared. Iwata told journalists at the briefing that preorders are going well. At the same time, however, he emphasized the importance of continued sales rather than a "rocket start."

Iwata also touched upon some firmware plans for the 3DS. Nintendo will be updating the system's firmware at the end of May to beef up its wireless functionality, he revealed. This firmware update will also make it so that current DS owners can transfer their internal software over to the 3DS.

Bloomberg was able to get some one-on-one time with Iwata back on the 9th and decided to ask him a question we're sure he loves getting every quarter: any plans to offer original titles on non-Nintendo hardware? Iwata's response was "So long as I am CEO, it definitely will not happen."

Loading comments. If comments don't load, make sure Javascript is on in your browser.

Icons by Glyphicons. Used under CC-BY license.