Capcom Expects Five Million For Monster Hunter Freedom 3
Company discusses monster Monster Hunter sales, this year's Captivate and advertising costs in investors Q&A.
We've heard various off-the-cuff comments from Capcom's executives and producers about the possibility of Monster Hunter Freedom 3 selling five million units. Now comes something a bit more official. During a Q&A with investors today, a company representative (it may have been CEO Haruhiro Tsujimoto -- Capcom did not list the speaker in its transcript) said with regards to the PSP title, "We believe that cumulative sales can top 5 million units in the future."
If this ends up happening, MHF3 will be the first, and likely last, PSP game to cross the mark.
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 is selling "far above initial plans," investors were also told.
Also in the Q&A:
- Capcom expects to sell 2 million units of Marvel VS. Capcom 3. This is unchanged from previously announced forecasts.
- Capcom spent 5 billion yen on advertising and marketing in the first nine months of the fiscal year.
- Capcom spent 18 billion yen on development in the first nine months of the fiscal year.
- This year's installment of "Captivate," an annual US-based press event, will be held on April 6 and 7.
- Investors asked about plans for Sony's new NGP system and were told, "We cannot provide any specific information at this time. We will move quickly in response to this development in line with our 'multi-platform' strategy.
You can read the full Q&A transcript for yourself here (PDF file).
As detailed during an investors meeting today, Monster Hunter Freedom 3 was Capcom's biggest title for the first nine months of the year, with 4.1 million sales. This covers just Japan, of course, as the game is not available internationally.
Dead Rising 2 was the company's second biggest game, with 2.2 million units sold. Super Street Fighter IV sold 1.6 million and Lost Planet 2 1.5 million. All these titles were released over the nine months.
You can read more about Capcom's fiscal outlook and strategy here (PDF file).