Sony Lead Game Market in 2010
PlayStation 3 beats Wii and PSP beats DS for the first time. Market shrinks nearly 14%.
In the just ended fiscal 2010, PlayStation 3 beat Wii and PSP beat DS. According to Enterbrain, this the first time the Sony platforms have come out on top.
Enterbrain, publisher of Famitsu, shared its market report for fiscal 2010 today. As always, the report includes hardware sales, software sales and overall market data.
PSP was the top selling platform for the year, beating out the DS by a little over 100,000 units. The PS3's victory over the Wii was even narrower.
Here's the full set of hardware sales for the year, covering March 29, 2010 through Marcy 27, 2011. Life to date sales are in parentheses.
- PlayStation Portable: 2,640,499 (16,867,853)
- Nintendo DS: 2,523,142 (32,598,870)
- PlayStation 3: 1,407,126 (6,341,950)
- Wii: 1,397,498 (11,534,590)
- Nintendo 3DS: 801,423
- Xbox 360: 195,563 (1,448,665)
DS sales include sales of DS Lite, DSi and DSi LL. PSP sales include sales of PSP go.
Nintendo platforms dominated the top five software sales, as usual. Here's the full list. All games were released over the year:
- Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS, released 9/18): 5,149,022
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom, PSP, 12/1): 4,372,182
- Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii, 7/8): 1,826,857
- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (Square Enix, DS, 4/28): 1,283,423
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii, 5/27): 956,853
The market shrunk nearly 14% from last year. Total sales this year reached 472.6 billion yen, down 13.9% from 2009's 549.07 billion yen. Hardware was down 21% to 170.68 billion yen. Software was down 9.3% to 301.92 billion yen.