Kazuma Kiryu is the Main Character in Yakuza 5
And other various bits from Famitsu's first look at the PS3 sequel.
More hardly surprising Yakuza 5 revelations have surfaced from Weekly Famitsu. In addition to the game's platform (PS3) and location (Sapporo, Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka and Fukuoka), the magazine reveals that Kazuma Kiryu will be the main character.
Series producer Toshihiro Nagoshi hinted as much in interviews following the game's announcement, so this isn't too surprising.
The big question, of course, is if Kazuma will be alone. The past couple of console Yakuza games have had multiple playable main characters. In an interview with Famitsu this week, Nagoshi would not say if the game will have multiple main characters.
Here are some of the other bits from Famitsu's first look at the sequel:
- The game will have massive volume.
- Nagoshi says that if likening the series to a house, 5 would be like building a new house rather than adding an extension to an existing house.
- The five cities will be of scale at or beyond the previous Osaka (Dotonbori) and Okinawa (Ryukyu) locations.
- Rather than seeking out hostesses to appear in the game, Sega will be traveling to the five cities to seek out girls who will serve as a cheering squad for the game. The girls will appear in commercials as well.
- The game will have presentation improvements, including shortened load times, improved camerawork and better character expressions. The team is using some of the knowhow they gained from working on Binary Domain.
- The game will also have improved technology to allow for seamless conversations and battles. Nagoshi says that you will be surprised with the result.
- The story will connect directly with Yakuza 4. It will not carry over from the zombie-themed Yakuza Of the End.
- Masayoshi Yokoyama is now a producer. On past Yakuza games, he worked on such areas as script and scenario.
- Development is currently in an early phase. Famitsu lists the game as date TBA.