3DS Sees Mario Kart Sales Surge
Highest post release hardware sales yet for system following major title's release.
Mario Kart 7 is off to a hot start, and it's bringing the 3DS system with it! Retail blog Sinobi reports that 3DS sold 216,350 units last week, nearly double the 120,920 it sold the week before.
In terms of hardware sales, this is the highest weekly total yet for the system since launch. Here's the top six weekly sales totals for the 3DS:
- 02.2011 4th Week: 371,326 Units (3DS Launch)
- 12.2011 1st Week: 216,350 Units (Mario Kart 7 Release)
- 08.2011 3rd Week: 214,821 Units (3DS Hardware Price Drop)
- 03.2011 1st Week: 206,087 Units (Week Following 3DS Launch)
- 11.2011 1st Week: 128,287 Units (Super Mario 3D Land Release)
- 08.2011 4th Week: 107,462 Units (Week Following Hardware Price Drop)
The 420,000 unit figure we gave for Mario Kart 7's sales earlier today was apparently a conservative estimate. Sinobi reports a more precise figure: 451,932 units. This is the highest debut yet for a 3DS game. Just amongst Mario Kart games, it's second highest, beaten only by Mario Kart Wii's 608,147 units.
Here are the full set of first week and life to date totals for past Mario Kart games:
- Mario Kart (Super Famicom, 11/1990): Total 3.82 million units
- Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64, 12/1996): First Week 160,363 / Total 1,711,661
- Mario Kart Advance (Game Boy Advance, 07/2001): First Week 261,797 / Total 938,175
- Mario Kart Double Dash (Gamecube / 11/2003): First Week 179,230 / Total 825,894
- Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS / 12/2005): First Week 224,411 / Total 3,837,894
- Mario Kart Wii (Wii, 04/2008): First Week 608,147 / Total 3,279,183
- Mario Kart 7 (3DS, 12/2011): First Week 451,932
Sinobi did not say where it got the data, but it's presumably Enterbrain (publisher of Famitsu). We should get more details from counterpart Media Create later today.