Downloadable PlayStation 2 Games Come to PS3 on July 25
PS2 Archive service launches with Resident Evil, Contra and Siren. Dark Cloud and Gunstar Heroes to follow!
Sony will be expanding its "Game Archives" retro download service to include PlayStation 2 games shortly. The PlayStation 2 Archives service will begin on July 25 with five PlayStation 2 titles available for download to your PlayStation 3:
- Resident Evil Code: Veronica (Capcom): ¥1,200
- Kessen (Tecmo Koei): ¥1,500
- Shin Contra (aka "Contra: Shattered Soldier," Konami): ¥1,200
- Dragon Force (Sega): ¥800
- Siren (Sony): ¥1,200
The lineup will be gradually expanded following the July 25 launch date, Sony said. New releases will appear once a month.
Future titles include:
- Dead or Alive 2 Hard Core (Tecmo Koei): ¥1,500
- Castlevania (Konami): ¥1,200
- Dynamite Dekka (aka Die-Hard Arcade, Sega): ¥800
- Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (Sega): ¥800
- Dark Cloud (Sony): ¥1,200
The Game Archives service currently includes first generation PlayStation Games and, to a lesser extent, PC Engine/TurboGrafx games. The service has over 700 titles at present, playable on PSP and PS3. The PS2 downloads will be playable exclusively on PS3.