These Were the Top Games of August
Monster Hunter 3 tops the charts, but the real story for the month is Friend Collection.
It's September. That means summer is over and fall has begun. It also means August is over, allowing Enterbrain to provide us with its top ten software sales for the month.
Famitsu.com passed along that sales information today. The results shouldn't be too surprising if you've been keeping up with the sales charts.
Capcom's Monster Hunter 3 was number one for the month, selling 865,740 units following its August 1 release. This figure covers sales across all versions -- Classic Controller Pro bundles and black Wii bundles included. It's the highest sales total ever for a console Monster Hunter game.
Dragon Quest IX, Friend Collection, and Wii Sports Resort followed. These were all released in the prior months, with Friend collection being the oldest.
Here's the full top ten covering July 27 through August 30.
- 1. Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom, Wii): 865,740
- 2. Dragon Quest IX (Square Enix, DS): 547,958 (3,765,460 total)
- 3. Friend Collection (Nintendo, DS): 429,969 (835,336)
- 4. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii): 314,766 (1,049,992)
- 5. SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai, PS2): 288,039
- 6. Tales of VS (Namco Bandai, PSP): 208,135
- 7. Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega, DS): 139,854
- 8. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP the Best (Capcom, PSP): 108,391 (957,134)
- 9. Kamen Rider Climax Heroes (Namco Bandai, PS2): 84,428
- 10. Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love (Nintendo, DS): 70,544
Also notable for the month is Wii Sports Resort's crossing of the million mark. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G's PSP the Best budget version -- just the budget version -- should pull off the feat next month. Dragon Quest IX should end up crossing Dragon Quest VIII's 3.89 million total next month as well.
While MH3 had the big sales this month, the real winner in my eyes is Friend Collection. Notice how it more than doubled its sales this month? It was actually the top selling game on charts from Media Create, Enterbrain and ASCII last week. Expect it to be right back in the top 10 in the September.