Nintendo Dominates 2009 Sales Charts
Dragon Quest, Pokemon and Friend Collection come out on top in ASCII yearly sales chart. DS leads the way in both hardware and software.
Dengeki publisher ASCII Media Works kicked off the year sales chart rush a bit early on Saturday with the announcement of its top 30 games for the calendar 2009 year.
As reported at Dengeki Online, the ASCII chart covers from December 29, 2008 through December 20, 2009. Nintendo-related product dominated the charts as expected, with Dragon Quest IX, Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Siler and Friend Collection leading the way on DS, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Sports Resort following on Wii.
Final Fantasy XIII placed sixth on the chart, although its sales cover just one week. With another week, it's likely that the game would have reached the fifth mark, and possibly the fourth mark.
Here's a translation of the ASCII chart.
- 1. Dragon Quest IX (Square Enix, DS): 4,089,136
- 2. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Pokemon, DS): 3,301,873
- 3. Friend Collection (Nintendo, DS): 2,059,236
- 4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo, WII): 1,897,089
- 5. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii): 1,499,058
- 6. Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix, PS3): 1,455,505
- 7. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo, Wii): 1,205,424
- 8. Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom, Wii): 949,095
- 9. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP the Best (Capcom, PSP): 878,880 (1,080,715)
- 10. Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level-5, DS): 851,175
- 11. Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo, DS): 708,311)
- 12. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (Square Enix, DS): 571,981
- 13. Resident Evil 5 (Capcom, PS3): 552,553
- 14. Yakuza 3 (Sega, PS3): 552,826
- 15. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii): 499,251 (3,470,235)
- 16. Professor Layton and the Demon's Flute (Level-5, DS): 481,311
- 17. Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega, PSP): 415,522
- 18. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii): 404,751 (2,447,964)
- 19. Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce (Koei, PSP): 397,080
- 20. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sky Battalion (Pokemon, DS): 383,226
- 21. Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai, Wii): 375,895 (625,391)
- 22. Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami, PS3): 370,831
- 23. Rhythm Heaven Gold (Nintendo, DS): 361,292 (1,763,270)
- 24. Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai, PS3): 352,961
- 25. Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 2 (Namco Bandai, PSP): 339,523
- 26. Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon, DS): 325,911 (2,536,712)
- 27. Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai, PSP): 323,531
- 28. Wagamama Fashion Girls Mode (Nintendo, DS): 314,832 (861,393)
- 29. Ace Attorney Investigations (Capcom, DS): 313,891
- 30. SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai, PS2): 306,985
Dengeki's article covering the sales data reports a 16.3% drop in overall hardware sales in 2009 to 9.86 million units. Software fell 4.3% to 65.05 million units.
DS was the top performer in terms of both hardware and software, holding on to its title from last year.