Monster Hunter and Scribblenauts Win at Japan Game Awards
CESA announces this year's Game of the Year and Designers award recipients.
Last year's Japan Game Awards saw the addition of the "Designers Award," which is given to one game picked by a panel of top game designers. Heavy Rain took was the first ever recipient of the award.
For the award's second year, another non-Japanese game won out. Announced by Tokyo Game Show organizer CESA on the 15th, designers this year selected 5th Cell Media's Scribblenauts for the award.
Scribblenauts was released to Japan through Konami in January 2011 under the name "Hirameki Puzzle: Maxwell no Fushigi na Note." Konami gave the game a full Japanese language localization. Recently, Konami announced the game's sequel, which will retain the "Scribblenauts" name in its Japanese release.
This year's 13 person selection panel included high profile developers like Fumito Ueda, Hideki Kamiya, Shinji Mikami, and Masahiro Sakurai. For a complete list, see this story.
In its statement announcing the award, CESA noted that Scribblenauts received more votes from the small group of designers than it did from the public at large in the general Game of the Year award voting.
The results of the Game of the Year voting were also announced by CESA on the 15th. Unlike the designer award, the main Game of the Year award is influenced by the public through online voting. The 1,426 games released to Japan between April 1, 2010 and March 31, 2011 qualified. Following a public vote held from April 11 through July 22, a panel selected the final results.
Capcom's Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for PSP won the Grand Award this year.
Award For Excellence recipients included:
- Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii)
- Legend of Heroes Zero no Kiseki (Falcom, PSP)
- Catherine (Atlus, PS3/X360)
- Gran Turismo 5 (Sony, PS3)
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii)
- Xenoblade (Nintendo, Wii)
- Donkey Kong Returns (Nintendo, Wii)
- Ni no Kuni (Level-5, DS)
- Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS)
- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (Konami, PSP)
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom, PSP)
Other awards included:
- Special Award: Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games, PS3/X360)
- Best Sales Award: Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS)
- Global Award -- Japanese Product: Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS)
- Global Award -- Foreign Product: Call of Duty Black Ops (Activision, PS3/X360/PC)
The Tokyo Game Show awards season isn't over yet. On the last day of the show, CESA will announce winners of the "Future" awards. This is voted on by Tokyo Game show attendees and includes titles that were on display at the event.